Thursday, September 5, 2013

Good.

"How are you"
"I'm good."
"Okay... how about you give me at least two sentences on how you really are."
"Well actually....."

The girls small group here in Greece met yesterday on the roof of our college. 10 of the 22 girls were there, allowing everyone to speak. I asked the girls to tell me how they were doing, to which a simple "good, good, good" was heard. I then charged them to explain at least two complete thoughts on how they were doing. Once again we went around the circle. All started with, "I'm good, but...." then went into what would throw anyone into a tizzy, revealing that they weren't really good.

Why do we say we are good? What is good?
Are we really good? Or is it God who is good?

Cognitively, I think we all understand that God is good. I often don't believe it or see it. I look and ask God, how can this be good? What is good in this? What does good look like in this situation? God in His definition is benevolent. I don't understand goodness.
In reality, there is nothing good about me. I'm not good, but God is good.
While it feels like the ground beneath my feet is shattering, and I'm learning hundreds of things a day, and I don't know what to focus on, and I don't know what I will do after this trip, and I don't know what the heck I'm going to do with my life, God is good.
While all is crumbling, glorious, decent, or sorrowful, God is good. While I can lie about my emotions, and hide things in truth I can say God is good.

I'm not good, but God is good.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for sharing! loved this! I'm going to change my response when people ask me how I'm doing! So much truth in this. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cool! totally thought about that! God is GOOD.

    ReplyDelete